Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Kumro-r Chokka – Indian Pumpkin Curry with Potatoes & Chickpeas



An authentic Bengali recipe to be eaten with Rutis or Porota’s. The day I made this I did not have the energy to make Porota’s and A is not fond of Ruti’s. Hence I made Bengali Luchi’s to go with this. It was  a meal to remember. Weekend breakfast is always elaborate, late and extremely filling for the two of us. I spend a good time from my Friday planning the weekend breakfasts. Luchi being at the top of the carte du jour, always.


I was mulling over making Kumro-r Chokka for a long time now. There was a sudden urge to make Shrimp Biryani for Friday dinner. I had thought of buying frozen Shrimps after work, when I reached the shop which keeps frozen food from a hard day at work, the shopkeeper told me, he ran out of his Shrimp stock. He should thank his stars that I did not strangle him. I called Sagar, my beloved Fish Monger, who informed he had fresh Shrimps and he was still around, I ran. On my way back, I was window shopping Veggies when I found this succulent looking Pumpkin and made up my mind to give mulling over about Kumro-r Chokka for months a final finish. On my way back I also got some Desi Chickpeas without which this dish will be incomplete.


Kumro means Pumpkin in Bengali and Chokka, as far as I know means Dice :P However, here I think it means a medley, unsure though.


Here is what you will need to make Kumro-r Chokka:
Serves - 2


Pumpkin – 250 grams – cubed
Potato – 1 large – cubed
Desi Chickpeas – about ½ Cup, mine looks more in quantity as they are more, I love to munch on them hence soaked more than needed.
Green Chillies – 5 – slit




Nigella Seeds / Kalonji – ½ tsp
Ginger – grated – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Cumin Powder – ½ tsp
Garam Masala Powder – ½ tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Sugar to balance
Mustard Oil – 1.5 tbsp


Method:


Soak the Desi Chickpeas overnight and drain in the morning.
Heat Mustard Oil in a Kadhai, add the slit Green Chillies & Nigella seeds and let them splutter.




Add the Potatoes and fry.




Add the grated Ginger and the Turmeric Powder.




Add the Coriander, Cumin and Garam Masala Powder.




Once the dry spices are cooked add the cubed Pumpkins.






Add the Desi Chickpeas.




Add Salt to taste and Sugar to balance and mix well.




Add desired amount of water and cook till both Potatoes and Pumpkin are tender.
This will be a dry preparation hence make sure all the moisture has evaporated before you turn off the stove.









Serve with Indian bread of your choice, I did with mean Bengali Luchi’s :D


No comments:

Post a Comment